American Idol has announced its Top 12. And here's the problem - they're all boring. I can tell you what their performances are going to be like already, which leaves me with nothing to be intrigued by from week to week. (Oh, Adam Lambert. How I miss you on my TV!)
Didi - some kind of faux-folksy attempt to modernize a classic song, which will occasionally make people happy but will mostly fall flat.
Siobhan - the exception. I actually do look forward to what Siobhan will do next week - she could fail miserably trying something new, but at least she'll be trying it. (Also, she's a glassblower from the Cape. What's not to like?)
Paige - will attempt the diva songs, but with a 'modern' edge. Mostly they'll be pedestrian.
Casey - country-esque songs with an attempt at soul. His looks will take him farther than his voice.
Tim - earnest songs in the Michael Buble oeuvre. He'll have to do them much better than he has heretofore if he's going to go very far.
Lee - a cross between rockabilly and modern pop. Decent, but unlikely to blow anyone away.
Michael - soulful love songs, sung with heart, but somehow unsatisfying.
Lacey - 'edgy' songs, many of which will not fit her voice at all.
Aaron - songs that are way too old for him, involving emotions he simply has not lived long enough to experience. Yes, that's the teenage way, but it'll fall flat unless he starts to embrace his inner boy-band member.
Andrew - indie rock/pop songs sung thoughtfully that will fail to connect. (Here I have hope - with some work, he could do a good job. But he seems too beaten down to do the work.)
Crystal - coffeehouse songs, sung well. She has talent, and I enjoy listening to her ... but I don't look forward to seeing what she'll do.
Katie - 'bluesy' modern songs done in an entirely affected manner. Great voice, but a completely over-rehearsed performer. If the performing style can improve, I think there's hope for her.
Official predictions: Michael and Siobhan as the final two, Michael as the winner. (He's safer - it'll be Ruben/Clay all over again.)
I would like to be wrong - I would like to think that with the "Idol Top 12" machine working for them, the song choices and performances will pick up. But I'm not holding my breath.
No comments:
Post a Comment