Monday, July 11, 2005

entertainment reviews

Just finished Lost in a Good Book. LOVED the whole Jurisfiction invention - I wish we had that in the real world so I could join! But the rest of the book seemed a little tortured to me. It felt like the author was pushing the plot, not a natural unfolding, and was generally less fun than the first one.

I've been watching the miniseries Into the West, which in many ways is VERY well-done. The attention to historical detail has been impressive. The interweaving of the Native American and white families is collapsing a bit, but that's to be expected given the Native American experience in the latter half of the nineteenth century. I am still incredibly irritated by the complete disappearance of Keri Russell's character. In the first place, the abandonment of her by the rest of the family was highly unlikely. People as resourceful as the Wheelers would have tried to go after her, snow over the mountains be damned. And then the rest of the series it's been like she never existed, when that would have been an excellent chance to strengthen the viewer's ties to a different Native American tribe. I'm a little wary about the final two episodes. I don't see a lot of opportunities for a happy ending, not while they're trying to tell the story with an eye to the overall irrationality of the Army's actions. Should be interesting - at least it's livened up the summer. Too bad there isn't also a new season of The Amazing Race, but I guess you can't have everything!

1 comment:

ScubaonMars said...

I agree about Jurisfiction, both about the wonderfulness of the concept, and the downhill slide from books 1 to 2. As I remember, Book 3 was better and 4 was awful.

I picked up a Spider Callahan (Very Bad Deaths) at the library for light entertainment and puns--a la Crosstime Saloon-- and (only while starting it late at night), realized to my horror that it was a violent pursuit of a particularly awful serial killer. Plus some very gratuitious, unearned (and story-breaking) slams at George W. Bush, which distracted without edifying anything but the author's beliefs. Alarming when an author just can't restrain himself from making his characters say things that they would NOT SAY, just to make a point.