Friday, January 01, 2010

first sentences

Time to go retrospective and see what 2009 brought to the blog:

January: "There's the day before the new year, when everything seems possible and the fresh start lays before you with all its possibilities." (Must tighten my prose and buy a thesaurus.)

February: "No, I'm not looking for recreational drugs!" (From a post titled "The Right PCP".)

March: "First, my own commentary on the end of February 2009 - I don't like the stomach flu and I'm tired of the snow." (Both things continue to be true. Hoping to avoid the first completely and have as little as possible of the second this year!)

April: "Jane Austen, 'Catharine' and 'The Watsons'." (Still working on getting through the reread of my Collected Works volume of Jane. And no, I will not be reading any of the bastardizations of her work. People should get their own ideas, not rewrite the classics.)

May: "Here we are on Tuesday, with AI's Top 4 to sing 'rock and roll' tonight." (I envy 2009 Shay a bit, as she got to hear Adam Lambert sing every week for the first half of the year. I hope 2010 offers an equally great talent when AI starts up again shortly!)

June: "Back again!" (Things didn't slow down as much as usual this year - at 166 posts for the year, this was my most faithul posting year ever!)

July: "This summer, we're trying the experiment of going screen-free on Tuesdays." (It actually worked quite well. We've debated going screen-free during the school year, but none of us are really enthused about the idea. Next summer, though, I believe we'll be back to screen-free Tuesdays. It's a good way to remember that there are other things out there to do.)

August: "When I was growing up, August was back-to-school month." (Still find it odd that the kids don't go back to school until September. But less odd than the fact that they don't get out until July.)

September: "And we're back!" (Trying to cut down on the breezy meaningless opening sentences. It's a work in progress.)

October: "Read a bunch of books on my weekend away ... although not as many as I'd hoped to." (It's true, my reading eyes were bigger than my reading stomach. Or something like that.)

November: "I just happened to notice that as I went to the 'dashboard'." ('That' referring to my 500th blog post. Woohoo!)

December: "I love food." (Now that's a note to start a year on!)

No comments: