Thursday, January 15, 2009

kids in school

Last night I sat in the registration open house for the preschool Veronica will be attending next year. This being my third go-round of preschool registration, I was pretty relaxed about the whole process - it's the 'neighborhood' school, the registrar lives behind me and was waiting for me to come in, she's basically guaranteed a spot. I'm not overly worried about the quality of the school, either. I've heard good things, granted, but in the overall scheme of things, preschools mostly tend to do the same stuff (at least in our price range!).

What I was struck by as I sat there was the image of Veronica playing with her little friends, watching her interact with teachers and do her little school chores ... I know a lot of moms who feel sad when their children go off to school, but I have to say that I have never been one of them. I love to watch my kids go to school (and not just because they're out of my hair ... although that does have something to do with it). I just like to watch them unfold. They develop interests that I would never have known about (Greyson's love of art, for example) because they don't meld with my interests. They make friends, they learn to do things, they come home with all this new stuff going on in their heads, and I think it's fascinating.

There are many, many reasons why I don't homeschool, but I think this is really the main one: School helps my kids become more interesting people. And I never get tired of watching that happen.

No comments: